Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness & Rehabilitation Centre
Tenikwa Wildlife Awareness & Rehabilitation Centre lies less that a 10 minute drive from Moon Shine.
Tenikwa grew from humble beginnings in 2002 when the owners started rehabilitating injured birds in a wooden shed behind their house. The wildlife rehabilitation work that is conducted at Tenikwa today is primarily funded out of gate-takings to the Awareness Centre where Tenikwa offers various programs to the public to see non–releasable indigenous wild cats of Southern Africa and other wildlife often caught up in the human-wildlife conflict.
Expect to see Cheetah, African Wild Cat, Caracal, Serval, Leopard, Lion, Meerkats and Penguins.
As a Fair Trade Certified establishment, Tenikwa adheres to strict safety protocols and practices responsible tourism. They ensure that all tours are educational and enriching.
What we loved:
- The integrity of all the staff we met at Tenikwa.
- The animals were in tip top condition.
- The enclosures were lush with indigenous vegetation.
- Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable.
- The operations manager, Cam, was passionate about his job, the creatures at Tenikwa and his vision for the future of the Centre.
- Their credo: “Respect all creatures. Take care of all animals, their space and habitats. Look after the environment. Re-use and recycle. Share knowledge. Help others understand.”
- The fact that what visitors see funds a far greater project in conservation and rehabilitation.